The multi tasking hoax
Multi-tasking is a hoax. In fact it’s one of the worst developments associated with the personal computer revolution. It robs us of time, reduces focus, and has a negative impact on reaching deadlines adn getting stuff done. So here is my top 10 list of ways to avoid the multi-tasking hoax:
- Only have one computer application open at a time
- Only check your emails at 2 designated times of the day (say 9am and 3pm)
- Don’t write long to do lists (guilty). Instead write down the answer to this question: ‘The one thing I must finish today’
- Close your eyes while taking phone calls to ensure you listen to the other party.
- Learn to say ‘no’. Tell the other person why, you can’t do it, or offer for them to pick something to drop off.
- Meditate daily. Think about long term goals
- Focus on depth of activities, not number of activities completed. Do less things, better.
- Never tell anyone you are busy. We are all busy. It leads to pin balling around stuff instead of finishing.
- have defined goals for the year. Ask yourself each morning how your are moving towards them.
- Add your item for number 10 in the comments.
Startup Blog says: Multitasking is your enemy. Avoid it.