Pop culture knowledge
Pop culture knowledge used to be about knowing who was atop of the leader board:
- the top of the billboard chart
- the number 1 movie
- the best selling pair of jeans
- the best selling athletic shoe
- the best picture at the Academy awards
- the most popular celebrity endorser
- … popularity contest X
This knowledge was a quick reference asset. It was worth keeping tabs on.
Pop culture has changed.
Now it’s about knowing what’s coming next. Knowing who’s already here is of little value. Anyone can find that out in a moments notice, it’s public and omnipresent on the web. Knowing who or what will be hot 6 months from now is where the currency is. And that takes constant assessment and curation of the content. That is an art in itself.