I’ve been setting visual and written goals for a few years now. However last year was one of the more limited goal setting years I’ve had in some time. In truth, I achieved less than in previous years.
I’ve also come to the conclusion that some times the goals we set for a year, take a few years to yield, for our brain to work out the subconscious algorithm needed to make them happen. I’ve never had a year when I have achieved all the goals that I have set, but it is also true that I achieve more in the years when I have made more of an effort in creating, reviewing and refining my goals.
On occasions I have made a personal postcard and sent it to myself with my goals as the visuals. I’ve shared one of these below, and while some of it is personal, it’s more important to share the goodness than worry about what people might think. You will notice that some things on it are not specific, and can’t be ticked or crossed, while others are specific. I really believe that very specific goal setting can actually work. I don’t know why, it just does.
Some of the Ticks included:
– Getting rentoid.com to feature on A Current Affair (if you click this link, you’ll see how close the reality was to my mashup up preemptive visual goal – quite extraordinary)
– Traveling with my, now wife, to elope
– Starting a family (see baby pic – my daughter even looks like this picture I found on-line!)
– Going to New York & Rome
– Getting published articles in the AFR, the Age and Sydney Morning Herald
– Surfing Weekly
– Graduating from being a University Tutor, to becoming a University Lecturer
– Turning my Startup Blog into a Startup School
– Helping my father sell his farm
– Getting rentoid in the news multiple times (Just google rentoid)
– Travel overseas in Business Class
– Collaborate with rental Industry to become leading portal
Some of the Crosses included:
– Flying in a private jet somewhere
– Having 10 million+ in net assets
– Upgrading my home (Including pool & eco friendly house features, and grand design renovation)
– Running a marathon
– Opening a new office for rentoid
– Getting on the cover of a business related magazine
– Becoming known as a respected business thought leader.
Some of these goals that I am yet to achieve, but am still seeking, in fact some I am very close to…. if they eventuate I will let you know. For 2012 I want my goals to be more specific and I intend on sharing them here to be honest in public and make myself more accountable.
The one thing I know for sure, is that we don’t achieve any of the goals we don’t set.