I was asked to give a list to Tim Reid on a few micro marketing / startup tips for his terrific podcast. I thought they were worth sharing in point form here.
- Project management is the key skill (Outsource weaknesses, be blissfully unaware how to do technical things, manage the value chain.)
- Think micro (Start small, no tiny. think hyper-local, and expand out from there)
- Compound effort (Our labour compounds over time like interest and investments do, social media takes compound effort)
- Speed is better than perfection (perfection is the enemy of success, launch review and iterate constantly)
- Manage for cash flow not profit (Money in and money out are the only 2 financials that matter, we can’t go broke when cash flow positive)
- We’ve got to sell (Selling is a core skill, we have to sell not just to customers but to everyone in our business world, employees & suppliers too, have a sales guru in your team)
- Start now (The right is never going to come, stop waiting for it)